Saturday, August 27, 2016

Super Mario World Day #1

                                  

            After one day I’ve made it to the Vanilla Dome, that’s the third area in Super Mario World, and there’s a whirlwind of emotions flowing through me.  First off I undoubtedly understand why this game is a classic and a masterpiece.  Yet I don’t know if I’m head over heels in love with it.  While reading many “best games of all time” lists Super Mario World ranks near the top on all of them and I definitely can see that while I play. Though I have some quarrels with it.
            Full disclosure I’m pretty awful when it comes to platformers and as you know Mario is a platformer.  So this has definitely hinder my experience while playing, I’m dying probably more than I should and ever little enemy is extremely dangerous.  I’m fairly certain that from now on I’ll start twitching every time I see a boo or goomba.
            These enemies aren’t my main issue; it’s the many ghost houses spread throughout the different areas.  Each of these houses feel far different from any level that comes before it and honestly have become frustrating.  When I reach the next ghost house there is an audible sigh that leaves my body.  I’ve only gone through two of these houses and I’m seriously not looking forward to progressing if more ghost house await.  Thankfully these houses are just a small section of each world and I have far too many compliments to give.
            Obviously it is no secret that Super Mario World is fantastic and I can feel that as I play.  It’s a beautiful world filled with a great soundtrack, pretty backdrops, and stellar controls.  I don’t think any game, besides maybe Mega Man 2, plays better than Super Mario World.  It’s precise and accurate when each jump is executed.  Each power-up is fun to use and I keep getting a jovial feeling when a small feather drops giving me that infamous cape.  Though nothing compares to Yoshi, once that egg appears a grin streaks across my face, using that dinosaur is Mario World at its finest.

            I know that I’m only a small way through Super Mario World and I plan on playing more hoping to eventually beat it.  While I have two issues with this game there’s something magical there and it truly does earn the right to be a “classic”.  If you are like me, someone who missed out on this game, play it and discover just how epic it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment